Monday, June 18, 2007

The Ghost That Typed

The Life of a Corporate Contract Writer

Every day we’re surrounded by words. Most of the time, people don’t even think about it. Not just books and newspapers. Who writes what you see on your cereal box in the morning? The information on your shampoo bottle? The message on your fast food drive-thru bag? Weekly sale ads in the Sunday paper? Product information at your favorite online stores?

Then go a step further. Who writes your company’s newsletters and Intranet? The instructions you go to for submitting your timecard? The information for your medical insurance? Behind everything is a writer…

…or at least there should be. Frankly, if you’ve ever been confused by what you’ve read, the company was probably too cheap to hire a professional. How a company presents itself through written communications makes an impression; the right words have impact. As with anything, you get what you pay for; and experienced, professional writers, are often far undervalued.

MARCH 2002

“Welcome to the team! We couldn’t do it without you!”


I set the insert card on the table next to a vase filled with 2-dozen spring tulips. The sudden shift from I-really-need-a-job data entry back to being a Web and marketing writer had been dizzying. Not only were my real skills finally being dusted off after one year post-layoff, but I was appreciated, too. Pretty heady stuff.

What followed was four intense years of being the sole writer for one of the largest, most successful and critically-lauded school fundraising programs in the nation, run by one of the world’s largest food companies. I was brought on to bring the communications for their program both consistency and style. Yes, I was a contractor, but I was part of the team. My opinion was valued. My ideas were used and were successful for both the program and the K-8 schools it served.

For four years, every month I wrote and edited eight to twelve articles, three emails, multiple ads, and much more. There were four quarterly newsletters, each with two versions. There were printed materials, flyers, letters, notifications, and special events. I created earning ideas, contests, and gave advice. I constantly monitored the forums where school volunteers voiced their problems and concerns so my writing could be relevant to their unique needs. I wrote all of the copy through four yearly website overhauls for two websites… plus two more. I worked days, nights and weekends to meet their needs. For four years I ate, drank and slept this program.

AUGUST 2006

“As of the October website updates, your services will no longer be needed. This is no reflection on your abilities as a writer. Due to budget constraints we will now be doing the writing in-house.”


The brief, impersonal Dear Jane email that ended my contract was a direct hit. Even today I feel it like a physical punch to the gut. Not a personal call. Not a meeting. Four years and I was summarily dismissed. The email didn’t even come from the head of the program, but from another contractor.

Four years of carefully crafting their entire message, branding and image through words – without so much as a goodbye lunch.

I could go into the evolution of the “team”, the corporate politics, lying and thoroughly unethical business behavior behind it all, but that’s not the point of my posting today.

I’ve moved on for the most part. I have a good regular job right now, with a good company, and a great boss. It’s steady, pays the bills, provides my family with medical insurance and keeps a roof over our heads. I still accept the occasional freelance writing job for other areas of the fundraising program when they ask. From what I’ve heard through the grapevine, the “in-house” writers provided by the other contractor haven’t worked out very well – they’ve been through several in just a few months – so much for consistency.

This wasn't my only client. Just the most startling example of just how disposable and invisible contractors -- in any profession -- have become. We're expected to show up, solve the company's problems with no tangible recognition or benefits other than a paycheck, and leave. A temporary employee that you don’t have to provide benefits for, that you don’t have to keep happy or give incentives to, who’s an expert in their field, that you can let go when the project is done AND get recognition for their work? For businesses, what’s not to like?

My point is that all the work I took such pride in… the effect it had on tens of thousands of schools across the nation and millions of kids… the fact that the words I crafted made an impression on millions of people and really did make a difference… no one… not one of those people… will ever know that it was me behind it. Corporate contract writers don’t get a by-line. My portfolio and resume will never fully demonstrate to a future employer the dedication I had for my work.

I’m just one of many nameless, faceless writers whose words and work are taken for granted.

I’m just the ghost that typed.

No comments: