Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Ducks and Bunnies

I can tell I've been in too many meetings today with management types. I'm over explaining to everyone I meet. You know how it is with management, all of the authority and none of the understanding of technology. Duck and bunnie charts.

Mgr: "I need a pencil and paper."
IT: "A pencil and paper are already in the requirements. You'll have the pencil and paper, just as you asked."
Mgr: "But the requirements don't say that I can write on the paper with the pencil. Will I be able to write on the paper?"
IT: "Of course, you will."
Mgr: "But how do I know that?"
IT: "Because that's the basic function of pencil and paper."
Mgr: "But I don't see anything that says I can write on the paper with the pencil. What if I get the pencil and paper and the pencil doesn't write on the paper?"
IT: "That won't happen."
Mgr: "Why?"
IT: "Because the basic function of pencil and paper is for the pencil to write on the paper. It's intrinsic to having pencil and paper."
Mgr: "But how can I be sure of that?"

Yup. This is the point when you just bonk said manager-type on the head, lock him / her in a closet, and only let him / her out when the application has launched. Then they can say:

Mgr: "Where's my pencil and paper?"
IT: "It's right there. On your desk."
Mgr: "But it doesn't LOOK like my old pencil and paper."
IT: "No, it doesn't. But it works the same way."
Mgr: "How do I know that it works that same?"
IT: "Because all pencils and papers have the same function."
Mgr: "But that pencil is blue. My pencil was yellow."
IT: "Yes, but it writes in exactly the same color as before."
Mgr: "No it can't. It's a different color."
IT: "But it writes the same way as before."
Mgr: "No it doesn't."
IT: "Yes it does. How do you know it doesn't? Have you tried it?"
Mgr: "No."
IT: "Then how do you know it doesn't do the same thing as before?"
Mgr: "It looks different."

Ah.... nothin' like the Peter Principle.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hilarious! How true!