Friday, December 01, 2006

Thinking ahead...

Okay, folks. I know this is nothing more than blog-fluff, but I haven't had the mental capacity to do much more than this for the past several weeks. That being said, I'm finally on the upswing of the moody scale and this helped put me on the path to a little holiday cheer today. Enjoy!

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?

A hot chocolate substitute... hot Ovaltine. Just as tasty and more vitamins.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just set them under the tree?

Sants doesn't wrap presents. His elves do.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?

White. I love the simplicity of it.

4. Do you hang a mistletoe?

I don't think I ever have.

5. When do you put your decorations up?

When I have the time. Ideally, right after Thanksgiving, but I'm behind schedule right now.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish?

Family and friends. The food could be frozen pizza for all I care.

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child?

Any Christmas that my Uncle Dale came to visit. That was a present in itself.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?

I don't recall exactly. Although I do vaguely remember asking my Mom about it and her answering that people that are generous and giving are the real Santas.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?

When I was a kid, after I knew there was no Santa, we opened all our gifts on Christmas Eve. Now, everyone gets to open one on Christmas Eve before bed. The rest get opened in the morning. A mix of Avindair's family traditions and mine.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree?

That's an odd question. I use wild weasels to string the lights, squirrels to hand the ornaments, a trained monkey to plug everything in, and then a big Rottweiler to chase them all out of the house when we're done.

11. Snow - love it or hate?

As much of a pain in the ass it can be, I love it. If I have to be cold, I want pretty snow to look at and play in.

12. Can you ice skate?

I owned skates ONE winter as a kid, skating at an outdoor rink in North Dakota. I was terrible at it. Now I wish I'd done it more and learned. I think I just hated falling down on the bumpy ice.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?

I had to revise this answer. My first favorite was a thin gold necklace and bracelet from Avindair. He'd really taken to heart the one thing I asked for. It was thoughtful, simple and beautiful. The second was last Christmas from my mom, dad and grandma. Mom took me out to pick out a ring with matching earrings. Something that they knew I would like, and would be able to keep, use and value for the rest of my days. That was my one gift from them and I absolutely loved it.

It makes me sound like a jewelry fiend... but I'm not!

14. What's the most exciting thing about the Holidays for you?

Seeing the anticipation in my children's eyes.

15. What is your favorite holiday Dessert?

Pumpkin pie... all winter long.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?

It used to be writing a thank you note to the kids from Santa along with the half-eaten milk and cookies... as well as some nibbled-on carrots the reindeer left behind. Now I think it's just the whole family gathering in our jammies and fluffy robes for popcorn and a movie in front of the fireplace.

17. What tops your tree?

There's an ornament around here somewhere...

18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving?

Receiving is nice, but I love giving.

19. What is your favorite Christmas song?

"White Christmas". I'm a sucker for Irving Berlin.

20. Candy canes?

Eh. I'm not a big fan, but the kids love them. And they look nice on the tree and on garlands.

There you have it folks. The Geek Goddess' Christmas Top 20.

No comments: