Monday, October 06, 2008

BLOCKED!

No, not me. Someone else. Someone I thought was reasonably sane... until politics came up.

I actually blocked someone on my Facebook account.

I expressed my opinions about a certain candidate, as is my right to do, to have her reply, "Puh-leeese." Yes. "Puh-leeese." Much like an eye-rolling 14-year-old. A less than valid argument, I'd hazard to say. So I replied by providing validation for my beliefs. Another reply was given that hit yet another level of rude, sporting opinions that sounded as if they were gleaned from 1 minute of Bill O'Reilly sound bites.

Wanting to demonstrate that I actually make up my own mind based on multiple reputable sources, I refuted her unfounded claims and made a few valid arguments of my own, citing said reputable sources... and even quoting them.

Today, her reply had all the depth and weight of... of... well, the same uninformed rhetoric of the candidate she supports. My sources? Can't cite the New York Times! Can't cite CBS! Thery're left-leaning liberals patsys! Her sources? Guess she doesn't need them. Dirty political ads, frightenenly false email spam, and Rush Limbaugh seem to be proof enough.

So, I had two choices - keep up this ridiculous waste of time where I'd spend precious minutes of my life reading, researching and evaluating before sending back a measured and well thought out response...

... or I could lob one last volley and block this angry, intolerant, uninformed, and most of all rude former co-worker.

I chose the latter.

Bye!

3 comments:

Avindair said...

I'm not surprised. I remember, waaaay back in 2000, when that individual complained to me that Gore should just admit defeat because Bush clearly won.

That's when I realized I really had nothing in common with that person.

GeekGoddess said...

Yeah. I was a little taken aback at the seemingly out-of-the-blue vehemence... but I'm sticking to my personal phee-low-so-phee. :-)

Anonymous said...

I've had to fire a couple Facebook friends, for different reasons. One simple click and "poof", they're gone. :-)