Thursday, February 27, 2014

Reflection on 2008

Found another long-lost, unpublished post. Eh, what the hell? Enjoy. 



It's that time of year again. Yes, there are still about 2 weeks left in 2008, but I need to write when I have the time and the inclination!

1. What did you do in 2008 that you'd never done before?
- Played "single mom" for about four months
- Put it more work-week hours than I thought possible
- Became a "stage mom"
- Spent a few days alone in my house
- Repaired my own lawn mower
- Performed in a 26-show musical run
- Called the paramedics for my daughter and followed the ambulance to the hospital

2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't make resolutions. I just look for ways to improve throughout the year.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
No.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
Not very close, but dear in memory. My high school German teacher, Frau Blecha.

5. What countries did you visit?
None.

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
Very similar to last year:
- Greater peace of mind
- Breathing room
- Time for taking care of the home front
- Traveling for pleasure instead of for necessity

7. What date from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
The day Tony left for Florida. We thought we'd be apart for a year.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting a better paying job that encouraged working from home as an option.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Letting that job take over my life when I didn't have it to give.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nothing much. The usual colds and occasional ooginess.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
Plane tickets for Tony to visit us and for me to visit Tony.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
- My husband: for following his dreams, continually striving for improvement, and being there for us when we needed him the most.
- My son: for his focus on his goals and emotional growth as an amazing young man.
- My daughter: for her academic improvement and courage to try new things.
- My kids and parents: for their love and support for both Tony and me.

13. Whose behavior appalled and depressed you?
- Former friends
- Our government and leaders
- The TSA
- A majority of the American public

14. Where did most of your money go?
Technology and travel.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
- My job
- The movie premiere
- The Space Shuttle launch
- Visiting my in-laws (no joke!)
- Seeing Sir Ian McKellan
- Seeing Spamalot
- Seeing my son in his FIRST high school show
- Finding old friends online

16. What songs will always remind you of 2007?
That's a tough one. I really don't know that until I'm past 2007 and hear a song that ends up reminding me of it.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. Happier or sadder?
Happier. Definitely. More content.

ii. Thinner or fatter?
About the same.

iii. Richer or poorer?
In cash or in things that are really important? Friends, love, security, family... richer.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
- Working on the house
- Spending time outside
- Being with my family

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
- Being on the computer (work and play)
- Worrying (job search)
- Being angry over things I had no control over

20. How did you spend Christmas?
Quietly with my husband and kids... playing Rock Band, playing board games, watching movies.

22. Did you fall in love in 2007?
365 times... with my husband.

23. How many one-night stands?
ZEEE-RO.

24. What was your favorite TV program?
I think Doctor Who topped the list.

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Interesting question. There are definitely those that I dislike, am disappointed in, or am baffled by reasoning, behavior, or choices.

26. What was the best book you read?
The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
There was none this year, unless you count rediscovering old favorites.

28. What did you want and get?
- More travel
- Seeing family

28. What did you want and not get?
- Travel to Europe
- Our passports
- A better job for Avindair

30. What was your favourite film of this year?
On the fun side, Hot Fuzz.
On the serious side, Sicko.

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
On my actual birthday day, had a nice dinner with my husband and kids. I turned 41.

32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Having the freedom to be in charge of my own schedule -- when to work, when to play.

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007?
Me.

34. What kept you sane?
My husband and kids, my dog, getting outdoors.

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Whom did I "fancy"? I don't think I'd go that far. There are those whose work I enjoy or I think are attractive, but "fancy"? Not so much.

36. What political issue stirred you the most?
Health care

37. Whom did you miss?
- Family
- Penmaster and Raven
- Uncle Dale

38. Who was the best new person you met?
Not a clue.

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2007:
Say goodbye to people and situations that are a destructive influence. Life's too short.

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
"Always look on the bright side of life."

No comments: