Friday, October 05, 2007

Do you LIVE here?

This morning I plugged in to the Star Tribune online, as I do most days, to read all the news that unfit to print. (Plus, I think buying the paper paper is a waste of money, ink, and trees when I can get it online.) I came across an article, linked to from the front page Local section, "Wisconsin geek convention will draw hundreds to Madison".

Wow. No kidding.

The article goes on to describe that 600 self-described "geeks" will gather and do geeky things. How avant garde!

When in the Star Tribune's own back yard, one of the largest "geek" cons in the U.S., CONvergence will be celebrating ten years in 2008. Not only that, registrations for 2007 were 2,665 -- outweighing the Wisconsin con by more than 2000. I've never seen anything like THAT in the Star Tribune.

Nothing against the Wisconsin con. Good for them. When two or more geeks shall gather together, there is wondrous geeky fun. It just kills me that our crack local journalists couldn't write up and promote an event that's four times bigger RIGHT HERE!

3 comments:

Avindair said...

In this town? Ha!

How does a CON help the Twins? Or The Vikings? Or Hockey? Or avant garde, sniff-your-own-farts theater? Those are the only things that really matter to most.

GeekGoddess said...

I'm thinking of emailing the CONvergence organizers about pushing the Strib and other local newspapers / mags to do a feature article on the 10th anniversary next year.

Hey! Friends and readers connected to CON! Pass that along, will ya?! :-)

Anonymous said...

Good idea!