Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Missing Chins

I miss Chin's Asia Fresh.

We used to have one by my workplace. It was recently replaced by *retch* LeeAnn Chin.

Chin's was just what it claimed to be - fresh, cooked to order, "Asian" food. The meats were moist with hardly a bit of extra fat, the vegetables were crisp and colorful - never overdone. It was a place I could go for lunch where I could be sure that the nutritional value was high and I wouldn't bust my diet.

Unfortunately, with the demise of the Plymouth location, there are only two -- count'em with me -- TWO locations left in Minnesota.

Today I was out running errands at lunch time, like I do, and wanted to grab something quick to go back to the office. What do I have nearby?

  • Taco Bell - Choose 1 taco slop delivery system (A. hard shell, B. soft shell, C. flour tortilla). Fill it with hamburger slop, chicken slop, or bean slop. Garnish with onion slop, cheese slop, hot sauce slop, and sour cream slop. Wrap in paper and serve with a sneer.
  • Panera - Menu items described by words like artisan, fuji, harvest, orchard, and Parisian, which really mean "stick to half-portions or you'll gain 5 lbs. today."
  • Pot Belly - Tasty sandwiches, with lots of calories, that cost far too much for what you get... and a line that goes on forever.
  • Chipotle - IF you watch what ingredients you choose, can be very low cal and healthy, but if you arrive at noon, kiss a quick lunch goodbye.
  • Salsaritas - Pretty much the same as Chipotle.
  • Noodles & Company - REALLY have to watch what you order here. Can be very high in calories and fat. Plus, the noodly entrees can be really heavy, even with lots of veggies.
  • Buffalo Wild Wings - A few light menu choices, but SLOW, SLOW, SLOW!

    Then there's LeeAnn Chin.

    Today, I chose it because there was no line, it was right next to the place I'd run my last errand, and I figured I could find something that was halfway healthy. And I did. By not eating it.

    The biggest difference between LeeAnn Chin and Chin's Asia Fresh is when the food is prepared. LAC has heated vats of their entrees, sitting under a warmer, waiting to be chosen like awkward teenage girls at a dance. By the time my so-called entree of stir fry chicken had reached my fork, the once crisp snow peas, broccoli, mini corn, and onions had become a pile of barely identifiable green and brown mush. Disgusting doesn't cover it. It was inedible. Much like the last few times I ventured through their doors. I dribbled a bit of soy sauce on the untouched steamed rice, picked what I could stomach, and threw the rest away. And I'm not a picky eater. Just ask my waistline.

    Here's what I don't get. In all of the LeeAnn Chin locations I've tried, I've never really had good food. Each event was usually due to a time-crunch or an overwhelming craving for "Asian" food. If you go to LAC's corporate website, you'd think their egg rolls walked on water: Best Chinese Food - Mpls St Paul Magazine, Best Chinese Food - Minnesota Monthly Reader's Restaurant Survey, Best Chinese Food - City Pages, Best Take Out - Mpls St Paul Magazine. HUH? Are their taste-buds DEAD?

    Add that to the sit-down restaurant prices for cafeteria line food? Never again. Last straw-ville for me. Not by the hair of my LeeAnn Chinny-chin-chin.
  • 3 comments:

    Avindair said...

    GG, this is the same town where the Royal Shakespeare Company has their showed attacked mercilessly, but where local productions where the sound is bad and the acting worse gets raves.

    In short, it's a local thing. Don't even try to make sense of it.

    Anonymous said...

    I know what you mean. When I worked in the cities for six months, I heard radio spots for LC's multiple times a day.

    I like Asian food, so I had to try it out. I know it was a few years ago, but I cannot remember anything about it. The only thing I do remember is just thinking "Okay, I guess I haven't had their best dish yet, the one that will make me say "Wow!"." Okay, I never did find that dish, and when I'm down in the cities, I think I would try just about anything before LC's again. Sad.

    Just my $.02.

    Girder

    Anonymous said...

    I would eat Leeann Chin if only the following last resorts were not available:

    *Nail cuticle and old callous soup from the pedicurist's foot bath.

    *Old Country Buffet.

    *Rotted lobster liver.

    *Earthworms.

    *Maggots.

    *Live crawfish.

    *Jellied moose nose.

    *Roasted whale testicals.

    *Pickled walrus kidney.