Thursday, November 29, 2007

Vote Smart!

I've been doing my best to avoid the political brouhaha. We're down to, what? 17,000 candidates or so?

With elections less than one year away, I've finally decided to turn my attention to the fetid muck and mire that is our Presidential election process.

I don't want to have to wade through the hip-deep bovine feces spouted from candidates, supporters, the media, and pundits alike. So I looked online for a place to find non-biased, no-nonsense information. Just the facts. So I can make up my own mind.

I found Project Vote Smart, (www.vote-smart.org). It's non-partisan, takes no money from special interest groups, takes no money from corporations, PACs or any organization that supports or opposes any candidates or issues. 90% of the researchers are volunteers - receiving no pay - and the small staff receives minimal pay to cover living expenses.

They cover every candidate from local government up to President providing:
  • Voting Records
  • Biographical and Contact Information
  • Issue Positions (called the Political Courage Test - check out Pawlenty's rating here... ouch)
  • Interest Group Ratings
  • Public Statements
  • Campaign Finanaces

    This isn't all. There's so much more.

    So if you're weary, like I am, of trying to separate the political wheat from the chaff, check them out!
  • 6 comments:

    Unknown said...

    Nice site. Thanks for the info!

    Tom

    GeekGoddess said...

    You bet, Tom!

    Anonymous said...

    I tend to take the lazy voter's routte: the candidate with the best hair!

    GeekGoddess said...

    Marie -
    Many politician's wear hair pieces. Do you mean best natural hair, or just best hair appearance overall? I tend to believe the using a hair piece is cheating.

    John Edwards has pretty good hair, and from what I can tell, it's real.

    Anonymous said...

    What?!?! You mean politicians might be wearing hair pieces?? Isn't that...dishonest?

    That does it. I'm voting for the candidate with the same internal plumbing as me.

    GeekGoddess said...

    That's what I've heard. I was completely disillusioned. How can we have faith in the democratic process when there are politicians out there... FAKING a full head of hair? Disgraceful.

    I think your second choice tactic is good. Certainly narrows the field quickly. :-)