Monday, February 11, 2008

How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria?

It all started back in October with the mother of bad auditions.

With one hour's notice, Avindair, our daughter and I decided to audition for the Lyric Arts production of "The Sound of Music".

"Don't do "I Dreamed a Dream", it's depressing."

I glanced doubtfully at the sheet music for "Popular" from Wicked, then back to Tony.

"But at least I know all of the words," I explained. "I don't know the words to "Popular"."

He grinned confidently, "Sure you do! You'll do fine."

Within seconds of walking into the audition, I'd forgotten the words and restarted "Popular" three times. Somehow I was sure it had lost it's charm with the director along the way.

Good thing was, I wasn't worried. This wasn't like auditions in the past, when I'd agonized over what song or monologue to use, and practiced over and over. This was done on a lark. I went in with a happy-go-lucky attitude. I smiled, joked at my own ineptitude, and pushed on through the restarts.

Finally, I thought, they'd had enough.

"What's the top of your range?"

"Man, I don't even know any more. It's been awhile since I've done a musical. And as you can tell, I'm not exactly prepared today!"

They asked me to sing a few scales to find the highest of my high notes, thanked me for my time and ushered me out.

Avindair's audition went well. He glided through "Eidelweiss" with the greatest of ease. Our daughter -- well, it was her first ever audition. She didn't really know the song well, but she handled it with absolute poise.

A few days later, Tony and I had both been offered roles; me as Sister Margaretta and Avindair as part of the men's ensemble. Our daughter wasn't cast, but she was wasn't terribly disappointed. As the weeks of rehearsal went on, I was glad she hadn't been. Musicals can be grueling... doubly-so if you're a kid and it's your first show.

Now, after many weeks, we're nearly there. "The Sound of Music" at the Lyric Arts Main Street Stage in Anoka, MN opens this Friday, February 15 and runs through March 16. Many of the shows are already sold out, but as of today, you can still get tickets for the following dates: February 16, 17 & 24, March 1, 2, 6, 9, 13, 15 and 16.

If you REALLY love "The Sound of Music", join us for the March 12 "Lyrics Out Loud" performance and sing-along with the cast!

So, if you enjoy "The Sound of Music"; if you enjoy the company of community theater-goers; if you want to see Avindair and Geek Goddess do their first musical in *cough**cough* years, get your tickets now!

No comments: