Thursday, February 28, 2008

Mini Epiphany

Avindair and I have been doing a lot of thinking about the future lately.

A lot.

America will be undergoing some painful changes in the next decade, politically, economically, socially. Will our jobs last? Will our kids have a future? And so much more. Try to negotiate the waters of future worry with present tense and near-future needs and life dreams - the stuff that keeps one going - and you'll give yourself a massive migraine.

We know we need to simplify - our lives, our work and our possessions. We need to work on our kids, our home and ourselves. We need to find out way out of this climate for our kids, our health and our sanity. We need to reconnect with the things we love... the things that really matter.

We love seeing the world. We love travel. We love connecting with people. We love writing. We love learning.

Yesterday, during one of our increasingly depressing discussions of the world situation, a lightbulb went on. Not one of those little nightlight bulbs... no. But one of those nice, clear 60w babies that are great to read by in your favorite comfy chair. We came up with a great idea. One we are going to take steps to learn about and may ultimately be solution we pursue.

It would mean a big life change. But one for the better. It would mean ridding ourselves of many of the things we've collected over the years. It would leaving many things behind.

...but that wasn't the epiphany. This was.

Yesterday after work, I came home and cooked dinner. It was a simple act, but I enjoyed it, knowing that I was doing something good for my family. I mulled over the big 'ol lightbulb of the day. Weighing the pros and cons of what we were considering and I thought, "What would I rather do? Come to the end of my days knowing that we had traveled the world, making a difference in people's lives by teaching them how to communicate with each other and make the world a better place? Or would I like to be able to say that I held onto this glass jar for 30 years?"

Why allow our possessions to own us, when instead, we could go out and experience the world?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're joining the Peace Corps!!!

Why didn't I think of that?

Seriously, it's more important than ever to simplify. Rid ourselves of physical baggage.

Remember the days of college when moving to a new apartment meant folding up the futon and packing everything you owned into 5 boxes and 7 milk crates stolen from behind the Quickie Mart?

That's what I'm talking about.

That's why Brian and I bought a small house. During good times, we can afford to play hard; during hard times, we can get by on minimum wage. Our cars are the same. They're pieces of shit, but they run, and they're paid for. We ride bikes or walk whenever we can so that we're not adding to wear and tear on the cars, or using more gas than we have to.

I, like you and Avindair, see minimal blue skies. We're living in the end times my friend. END TIMES. The only change we'll see is of things getting worse.

We'll never have job security. We'll compete for jobs with 20- and 30-year olds while we're in our 50's and 60's.

Anonymous said...

Did I mention that I DON'T feel like cutting myself anymore?

I think it's because I've reached the stage of acceptance.

GeekGoddess said...

Marie -

*grin* It's not the Peace Corps, but that would be cool. Not so good with kids, right now, though.

I'm just holding off on full explanation until Tony and I do a bit more research and have time to make some decisions.

Over the years we've done some cleaning out... to the tune of more than one dumpster, if you can believe that... but we have much more to go.

A few years back my dad got rid of his house and most of his possessions and move into a houseboat. When he sold the houseboat, he changed up for a trailer he could hook to his pick-up truck and travel around doing the RV life. Granted, he doesn't travel much (long story), but he has simplified his life down to one, insanely neat and clean, small space.

I dream of that one day!

(Not the RV, but the small space.)