Thursday, February 21, 2008

Two Feel-Good Businesses

One I've experienced, one I have not.

First, the Purple Crayon Factory. I first met Teresa Thomas-Carroll, the director and founder of Purple Crayon Factory, through a business women's networking group. It's rare and refreshing to meet someone who is as enthusiastic about their work as she is. PCF's workshops bring a creative approach to self-reflection, realization of goals, stress management, life balance and much more. Check out her website and workshops!

The second was a link I followed from Teresa's PCF newsletter today, HOURCAR. Have you ever come across a business idea so incredible that you wish you'd thought of it? HOURCAR is a car-sharing membership for the Twin Cities. Not a service for suburbanites, like myself, but great for people living in the middle of the metro. Instead of owning a car and having loan payments, insurance payments, maintenance, fuel, garage, etc., members pay an affordable monthly membership fee, plus hourly use and mileage for just the hours they use the car. Plus, all of the cars in their fleet are gas-electric hybids. What a great idea!

2 comments:

Pernox said...

Hourcar is a phenomenal idea. Had Nerdwife and I not moved, we would probably be members of this service, since the Mississippi Market Co-Op was a hub point.

GeekGoddess said...

If you still have friends in the area, pass it on! The only way for something like this to grow, is for it to be used.

I can't count the number of times I've wished that I could ride my bike to work and ditch the car!